I am guessing you clicked this post because you wanted to incorporate more prayer in your life? Maybe you are a new believer, and you are trying to figure out why prayer is so important to Christians. Maybe you just wanted to read what my ten reasons are. In any case, I am going to tell you why prayer is vital. These reasons were put together because of their significance to my life. I have to put a disclaimer because now-a-days we have to put disclaimers on everything. Although they are significant to me, I pray that they mean or awaken something in you. Let us begin.
1. Obedience: We need prayer because God says we do. He commands us throughout His word to pray. We are told to be obedient to all of God's commandments. Prayer is no exception.
"Pray without Ceasing"-1 Thessalonians 5:17
"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer"-Romans 12:12
"An pray in the spirit in all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests."-Ephesians 6:18
2. It is How We Communicate With God: Just how we need communication to strengthen our personal relationships, so our personal relationship with God needs communication as well. We do not go about our days without talking to our significant other and expect to be close. Prayer is our means of communication with the Lord. It is where we open up freely to Him and speak to Him. It is also where He speaks to us.
3. It's Strengthening: Prayer strengthens. It strengthens our relationship with God, as we read above, it strengthens our faith, and it strengthens us.
4. It Awakens our Calling: Since we know that God speaks to us through prayer, know that He can give us our calling through conversation with Him. You may even find direction that will eventually lead you to your calling.
5. It Gives Us Power Over Temptation: Let's face it! We are all tempted. We all have different kinds of temptation, so yes, we all struggle with it. God Himself was tempted, but He overcame it by citing scripture. Whose to say we can't do the same.
6. It is 24/7: Prayer is available to us at all times. Friends, boyfriends, therapists, and husbands may not always be available, but prayer is. So if we do not engage in conversation with God it is because we have chosen not to.
7. It Creates a Humbled Heart: Prayer is not always about asking for things. It isn't always about expressing our anger or feelings, it is also about humbling ourselves and expressing our gratitude. As I mentioned in my post, "The Art of Saying Thank You", "thank you" allows us to put aside our pride and accept that we have been helped.
8. It's Filling: Prayer brings emotional fulfillment. The fact that we know that God is listening to us is fulfilling. That fact that things are going to be okay is fulfilling. Sometimes all we need is to express ourselves.
9. It Brings Confidence: Knowing that God knows your situation can help you confidently look past what is going wrong and focus on what is right. I know that when I finish a powerful prayer I feel confident that everything is going to be okay.
10. It Breaks Every Chain: Prayer heals, prayer liberates, prayer breaks chains, and prayer helps us overcome. There are many people who have left behind their old self and have accepted Christ because of another person's unfailing faith-filled prayers. Many have been healed because someone has laid hands on them with faith and prayed to God. Prayer is powerful!
Prayer is important. As you can see, prayer is vital for everyone. It helps in many ways. Don't be so quick to shrug it off. Try your best to incorporate more of it in your life. I hope you feel encouraged to pray often, if you already are an avid prayer life, then I hope you have been brought back to the reasons why you do what you do. I know that there are many more reasons as to why prayer is important. If you have a great one that is significant for you, by all means, please let me know. I'd love to add more to my long list of reasons.