There are so many factors that work together to transform an individual. Whether it be the pressures of the media, the pressures of peers, or the pressure we put on ourselves to be "accepted".
Why is it so important for a person to be themselves even if it means that they will be alone. Well because we were not created to be like everyone else. We were made the way we are for a reason. Our personality is unique and it is beautiful the way it is. I am not saying there isn't room for improvement because there is always room for improvement, but always remember that you are special and unique the way you are.
I have felt a burden in my heart for the longest time, and I was always confused as to what it was that was tugging at my heart. I felt a discomfort in my spirit. Why do I feel so unhappy, I kept asking. Then I received a powerful word in our prayer service. My pastor said that when we feel unhappy and empty it is because we are in desperate need of another encounter with God.
You may be asking, well what does that have to do with staying true to yourself. Well, let me explain, for so long I have tried to be liked and accepted by everyone I know. For some reason it is important for me to be on "good terms" with everyone. This means that I was living like a chameleon. They change colors to disguise themselves. I was changing colors to blend in.
I realized my mistake. I felt empty because I was no longer looking to be accepted by God, but by my peers. Stay true to who you are as a person, and hold tight to what you believe in. God doesn't want us to "blend in". He wants us to stand out and be the light. Here are 7 Tips on how to Stay true to yourself in this all-over-the-place world.
1. Do not be afraid to say no: I wanted to start off with this one because I feel like it is extremely important. We may be placed in uncomfortable situations where our answer could reflect a good or bad outcome. Whatever the case may be, I want you to know that it is okay to say no. If you are told to do something that questions your morals and beliefs, then saying no will definitely free you from making an unwise choice.
2. Know your strengths: It is important for you to understand your value. You are worth a great deal! It is unfortunate that many of us are never told how special and unique we are. If you are one of these people, just know that God thinks you are awesome and so do I. Work on making yourself stronger every day.
3. If you feel pressured, stop: Never give in to peer pressure. This can never be emphasized enough. It is important to always hold on to what you believe in. This I had to learn the hard way. Know that no matter what anyone thinks of you, you don't have to do something you feel uncomfortable doing.
4. Surround yourself with people who care about you: This is particularly important because the people you are closest to are the ones who gradually help you make the toughest decisions. I usually go to my pastor, closest friend, sister, and boyfriend. I go to them because I know that they can help me make the wisest choice possible. If you surround yourself with negative people, then these people are only there to see you fail. You don't want that kind of vibe.
5. Make decisions wisely: It is important for you to think twice before making a decision. Decisions are permanent. If it has something to do with things that aren't necessarily good for you, then it is best to think twice before doing anything. As previously mentioned seek help in making your decisions. Pray and ask for guidance, and seek advice from loved ones.
6. Be kind to yourself: Sometimes we are our worst critiques it is important for you to understand that you are human, humans are prone to make mistakes, but never use that as an excuse. Be aware when something is your fault, but also understand that you are awesome. Love yourself. You are beautiful and unique. Even if people don't like the things you like, know that it is okay.
If you are struggling with peer pressure, I hope this helped you. You don't have to be something you don't want to be. Always be good to yourself, and allow yourself to be molded by Christ. I hope you all have a lovely weekend, and I pray that you live your life victorious. Here is my newest youtube video on the subject: