6 Habits That Are Stealing Your Joy
Tuesday, August 25, 2015
Happy Tuesday Family! Life has been a whirlwind of emotions lately. I am not sure if it's the Summer heat or not but it has been a bit hectic emotionally. I was huddled next to the AC in my living room wondering what exactly has been making me feel so distracted lately. I am usually a very thoughtful and quiet person, but lately I have been extra thoughtful and quiet.
Then it came to me, shivering beside the AC numb to my fingertips, I have allowed a number of things to steal my joy. It made sense to me, I mean how often do we allow ourselves to think about the things we don't have and how we wish our lives could be.
Habits, characteristics or day to day activities that we grow accustomed to. These little nuggets could be good or bad but in either case, they can potentially build or break our character.
Here is a list of habits that steal our joy because let's face it, everything we allow into our lives can potentially bring consequences.
1. Focusing on Your Failures: We all do it! We don't succeed at something, and we allow it to take over our brain. We then begin to doubt our potential. Solution: Instead of seeing your failures as a step back, look at it as a step closer to your goal. Allow room for growth.
2. Comparing Yourself to Others: This is also something that happens when we don't even try. We compare ourselves based on looks, personality, and success. You are YOU-nique, I know that's not a word, but it sure is catchy. Solution: Focus on your own success, and on living a happy life.
3. Worrying About Your Future: Not knowing what the future holds is terrifying. Not knowing whether you will end up in the exact job you were always looking to work at, can be a bit harsh it can all be too much. Solution: Take each day one day at a time. Focus instead on what you can do today.
4. Worrying About Your Past: So you had a difficult past.You endured a lot of pain and rejection and you don't know whether or not you can move forward. It's easy for someone to forget about their future when they are so enveloped in their past. Solution: Allow yourself to move on. You will only go as far as you allow yourself to go, and if you are too focused on the past you might just miss our on your present.
5. Seeking Acceptance From Your Peers: Sometimes we get too caught up in what everyone else is doing that we forget to think about ourselves. we focus so much on being accepted to a point that we no longer accept ourselves. Solution: Worry about what makes you happy and worry about what makes you feel good while still holding on to your morals and beliefs.
6. Allowing Negativity to Enter Your Mind: Negativity has a good way of sneaking it's way into our minds. It can enter in the form of a situation or a person. In either case it can easily rot our brains and, lets not forget, our self esteem too. Solution: Surround yourself with positive people and positive vibes.
It is important to remain joyful because not only is it something we are called to do, but we become better and stronger individuals when we do. Free your mind of these little habits, and you will notice that your smile will return once again. Have you felt distracted lately? What has been stealing your joy?